India's boxers will be able to compete in the AIBA World Championships in Kazakhstan in October, despite AIBA, the international boxing federation, widening its ban on the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation to include fighters and coaches.
AIBA said that the ban on the country's boxers will be enforced after the championships in Almaty, which take place from October 11 to 27, because their participation in Kazakhstan had already been "authorised" by the governing body.
The ban on the IABF has been in place since December 2012, after AIBA cited "possible manipulation" of its election results.
The suspension of the IABF was directly linked to the earlier suspension of the Indian Olympic Association by the International Olympic Committee, in a long-running wrangle over the IOA’s elections and a controversial new Sports Code which, the IOC maintains, are in breach of the Olympic Charter.
Abhay Singh Chautala, who was elected president of the IOA in defiance of the IOC, which had declared that the results of any elections would be “null and void,” is the former president of the IABF, who was elected unopposed to the new post of IABF chairman to facilitate his IOA candidacy.
AIBA said it is still awaiting a date for the new IABF election. At its annual meeting in Korea last month, the AIBA executive committee told the Indian federation to hold a new election by no later than November 4, 2013 and organise it in the presence of a returning officer who will oversee the process.
A spokesman for AIBA said that "until the election process is completed, the IABF is still provisionally suspended."
In February, Indian boxers and coaches (but no officials) were permitted to participate in approved events run by AIBA, competing under the AIBA flag.