The GTF was created in November 2015, following an ASOIF Council decision and discussions about governance at the IF Forum earlier that month. Mandated with helping International Federations to promote and ensure a culture of good governance within their structures, the group is chaired by Francesco Ricci Bitti, President of ASOIF.
Members of the group are:
- Jean-Loup Chappelet, Professor at IDHEAP Swiss Graduate School of Public Administration at the University of Lausanne
- Benjamin Cohen, ITA Director General
- Ingmar De Vos, FEI President, IOC Member
- Pâquerette Girard Zappelli, IOC Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer
- Luiz Fernando Lima, FIVB Secretary General
- Alexander McLin, Swiss Arbitration Association Executive Director
- Denis Oswald, CIES Director, IOC Executive Board Member
- Andrew Ryan, ASOIF Executive Director
Since its creation, the GTF developed a full set of governance principles and indicators tailored to the specific characteristics and needs of sport organisations. This new mechanism will help to jointly evaluate the current status of each Summer Olympic International Federation and regularly monitor progress.